Joan Stewart C.1428 - 22.06.1493

James Douglas 1426 - 22.10.1493

1

Joan Stewart C.1428 - 22.06.1493

Born in Scotland c. 1428, she was the third daughter of James I of Scotland and Joan Beaufort. Joan also called Joanna, had two younger brothers, including the future King of Scotland, James II, and five sisters. She had “the misfortune to be deaf and dumb”, and was known as muta domina or “the mute lady”. Joan was reported to have used sign language to communicate, even in public (although it was considered at that time to be impolite).
Joan was firstly married to James Douglas (1426 - 1446) the 3rd Earl of Angus on 18 October 1440, but he died (without issue) in 1446.
In 1445 Joan was sent to France and did not return home to Scotland until 1457. She had been promised in marriage to the Dauphin of France but the marriage did not take place, probably due to her inability to articulate. Joan married The 4th Baron Dalkeith, James Douglas in 1458, who at the time of their marriage was raised to the peerage as the first Earl of Morton. They were granted a dispensation on 7th January 1463-4 for being consanguineous in the second and third degrees. Joan and her husband James were both aware of their close relationships but were persuaded to marry by her brother King James II of Scotland and applied for the dispensation to legitimize their marriage. The Countess Joanna died in 1493, predeceasing her husband, James, by four months.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2

James Douglas 1426 - 22.10.1493

He was the son of James Douglas, 2nd Lord of Dalkeith and Elizabeth Gifford, daughter of James Gifford of Sheriffhall. His father resigned all his estates to James in 1456 when James became the 4th Lord of Dalkeith. James was created Earl of Morton in 1458 upon his marriage to Joan.
The Earl entered into a marriage contract with Patrick Graham, Bishop of St. Andrews between the Bishop's niece and John Douglas, the Earl's eldest son and heir. In turn the Grahams, the Bishop, his brother and nephew, allied themselves to the Earl and pledged to assist him in recovering the diverted lands of Whittingehame and Morton. It appears, however, that this pledge was intended to draw the Earl of Morton into a conspiracy that included the Bishop, Lord Boyd and his party. Robert Boyd, 1st Lord Boyd who, as one of the Regents during the minority of James III of Scotland, took possession of the young king and married his son to the king's elder sister, for which crimes he was later attainted for high treason. The Earl of Morton apparently did not participate since he sat on the jury which convicted the Boyds. Bishop Graham was later excommunicated and deposed.
The lands of Whittinghame and all rights over the barony of Morton, Dumfriesshire were resigned into the Earl's hands in 1473-4 and in that same year he recovered the lordship of Dalkeith increasing the Earls already vast estates. He re-endowed the collegiate church at Dalkeith his 3rd great-grandfather founded and he also founded St. Martha's Hospital in Aberdour in 1474. The Earl died on 22 October 1493 when his son John succeeded him as the 2nd Earl of Morton.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3

Joan and James had five children:

John (2nd Earl of Morton) Douglas b: BEF. 1466 Died: Abt 1512 m. Janet Crichton (dau of Patrick Crichton of Cranstonriddel)
Johanna Douglas = Patrick (1st Earl of Bothwell) Hepburn
James Douglas, Born: Abt 1463
Elizabeth Douglas, Born: Abt 1467, Died: Aft 1479
Janet Douglas, Born: Abt 1429 Died: Aft 1489 Married: Thomas, 2nd Lord Erskine, Bef 1445




The Morton Monument

The Morton Monument
1

Sir Herbert Maxwell, Bt.,
Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

The Earl and Countess of Morton were buried together in the choir of the parish church of St. Nicholas Buccleuch, known as the Dalkeith Collegiate Church, in Dalkeith, south of Fife and east of Edinburgh, in Midlothian, Scotland. Known as the Morton Monument, their tombs are covered with their stone effigies, complete with their armorial bearings. The choir is now in the ruins, leaving the tombs out in the open, where, in a few centuries, the elements have erased their faces. Their hands, pressed together in prayer, were likely to have been destroyed during the Reformation. Today, as one of the visitors remarked, "[o]nce crisply carved and detailed with heraldic devices", the tombs have "the look of sand sculptures after the tide has washed in and retreated". Due to their historical value, in 2005 a team of volunteers and preservationists created a protective canopy over their effigies. 

© Copyright 2022  Sean M. Plowden-Wardlaw - All Rights Reserved
Email: seanplowden@plowden-wardlaw.de